Saturday was a wonderful sunny day, not at all like the water forecast. I decided to have another bonfire, any excuse will do for me. I had an old, broken garden seat that a friend wanted me to get rid of, so some dry wood to get things going. I took my pruning saw and a pair of loppers.
First task was to get the fire lit. matches really are rubbish nowadays. The head falls off as you strike the match or the stick fails to light. Several matches later I had a good fire burning. I slowly added more wood until I had a good fire. The stiff breeze helped it to burn fiercely and blew the smoke across the fields. It is best not to upset the nearby neighbours.
I set to work clearing the path through the undergrowth so that we can get to our allotments more easily. I seem to be the only person who does the job, but letting the sun through helps to dry the path and saves a few scratched faces. My main task was to clear the hedge next to my shed and then to clear the shed walls of ivy. Two hours later light was reaching the allotment, a barrel was in place to collect water and I was ready for lunch. A good mornings work, and enough waste for another bonfire in the new year.